Survey Highlights Worrying Concerns Over Workload
UCU has published a survey taken by staff, highlighting some real concerns over workload and stress in the workplace. The major findings are as follows:
- staff in both the higher education and further education sectors are working an average of more than two days unpaid every week
- workload is unmanageable and unsustainable for the majority of academic staff and lecturers
- staff are taking on more responsibility and administration
- student expectations have increased
- professional and career development is suffering as a result of increasing workload pressures.
Know Your Contract
As workload increases with increasing pressures in both teaching and research, it pays to know how your contract protects you. Take a look at our section on the Post-92 contract which applies to Lecturers, Senior Lecturers and Principal Lecturers.
Is It All Getting Too Much?