University Heads Average Salary £277834 (Up 2%)
University heads received an average salary package of £277,834 for the academic year 2015/16 – an increase of 2% on the previous year and 6.5 times the average pay of their staff, according to a UCU report released today. During the same period, staff received a pay increase of just 1%.
- Fifty-four vice-chancellors took home more than £300,000
- Eleven VCs were paid more than £400,000
- Vice-chancellors spent an average of £7,762 on flights. Two-thirds of flights (65%) were taken in business or first class in 2015/16. Twenty-two vice-chancellors flew exclusively in first class or business class
- Vice-chancellors spent an average of £2,982 on hotels in 2015/16
- A third of universities (35%) said that they provided accommodation for their vice-chancellor
- The average expenses bill was £1,150
- Eight (5%) universities did not respond to the union’s FOI request and five (3%) used exemptions to refuse to answer all questions
- Only a quarter (40 out of 159) provided unredacted minutes from their most recent remuneration committee meeting – where the pay of the vice-chancellor is decided
Read the news article here
Find the stats for individual institutions here
UCU Strike Action 5th July, Free University Event and Cake!
University of Huddersfield colleagues will be offering short sessions and there will be CAKES. Click here for publicity posters.
Book your place for the free event here!
(programme and timings may be subject to changes)
10.00-10.15: Welcome to Free University/Paul Ward presents History of the Megaphone
10.15-10.30: PA Tremblay play and discuss music piece as research
10.30-10.45: Brendan Canavan on Branding
10.45-11.00: Judith Kidder quiz
11.00-12.00: Karen Shah and Claire Evans – Design Activism for Social Change. A practical hands-on session to make a piece of picket line paraphernalia with your own message.
12.00-12.30 University of the Future/ Co-production of research with community groups by Jo Dyrlaga, Amerdeep Panesar, Joe Hopkinson, Liz Pente and Shabina Aslam.
We may head back to help out at the picket line at the end of the programme.
Please book to join us and we will send you more details as soon as possible. All student and staff are welcome to join in on the day – the event booking is simply to get an idea about numbers.
Find out more about why we are taking action and what the dispute is about at: https://huducu.wordpress.com/category/pay/
- Tuesday, 5 July 2016 from 10:00 to 12:30
- Lawrence Batley Theatre (LBT) Huddersfield – Queen Street, Huddersfield, HD1 2SP
This action has to be effective in order to secure a better pay deal for all staff in HE.
For that to happen requires a concerted effort from ALL members.
So what does that mean for YOU?
1. Go on strike on the 25th and 26th of May
2. Prepare to work to contract from the 25th
3. Prepare to resign your external examiner role
4. Attend the rally in Leeds from 12 on the 25th