University Heads Average Salary £277834 (Up 2%)
University heads received an average salary package of £277,834 for the academic year 2015/16 – an increase of 2% on the previous year and 6.5 times the average pay of their staff, according to a UCU report released today. During the same period, staff received a pay increase of just 1%.
- Fifty-four vice-chancellors took home more than £300,000
- Eleven VCs were paid more than £400,000
- Vice-chancellors spent an average of £7,762 on flights. Two-thirds of flights (65%) were taken in business or first class in 2015/16. Twenty-two vice-chancellors flew exclusively in first class or business class
- Vice-chancellors spent an average of £2,982 on hotels in 2015/16
- A third of universities (35%) said that they provided accommodation for their vice-chancellor
- The average expenses bill was £1,150
- Eight (5%) universities did not respond to the union’s FOI request and five (3%) used exemptions to refuse to answer all questions
- Only a quarter (40 out of 159) provided unredacted minutes from their most recent remuneration committee meeting – where the pay of the vice-chancellor is decided
Read the news article here
Find the stats for individual institutions here
How Are You Feeling?
You are cordially invited to a meeting for collegiate, collaborative conversations and cake!
Open to all UCU members and those thinking of joining
Oastler Building OA6/10, Wednesday 5 July, 2.15 – 4.15
Please drop in to say hello, meet other UCU members and have an informal conversation about what concerns you, what you would like to happen at the University, how you can become part of a community which is supportive and welcoming – or anything else you would like to talk about. Tea, coffee and yummy cake all for FREE!!
Free Film Screening: Life in a Greek Refugee Camp
Click here to book
In 2016 governments within the EU closed their borders, leaving almost 60,000 refugees stranded in Greece. Faced with hosting the refugees, the Greek Government decided to reopen a number of closed-down army camps as temporary residences and called on the army to set up and manage the camps.
The film produced by Tim Kelly, Lecturer at the University of Coventry and writer and director of a number of award-winning short films, explores the role of the army and NGOs in organizing the camp, the daily lives of the refugees and the evolving relationship between the locals and their new neighbours. Director: Yiannis Koufonikos, Writer: Christy Kelly.
The School of Education and Professional Development will be hosting a screening of the short 45 minute film with a Q&A with Tim Kelly at the end.
Click here to book
UCU Elections 2017
Ballots to elect UCU trustees, the general secretary, vice-president from the higher education sector, honorary treasurer and NEC members (including the NEC casual vacancy, FE North East) opened on 1 February 2017 and close at noon on 1 March 2017.
Click here for more information